Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Watching Ian

 Ian, is a huge storm and can be very dangerous. I have very good friends in  Port St. Lucy, they say they should get some high winds and lots of rain. They live further inland but this storm has made lots of turns and is all over the place. Blessing to anyone in the path of this huge hurricane. 

Yesterday I, had to fill my water jugs, thought I would just pick up a few things but thought as long as I was there to just get it done. I did get some good buys on chicken thighs so bought a nice bulk pack. I buy bone in and skin on, I'm not paying someone to take off the skin and I like having the bone in. There was 10 pieces I pulled off all the skin then double  bagged them  and put then in the freezer, I have plenty of thighs now as I have been stocking up as I eat lots of chicken and will also be using them for soup. Also picked up 2pks of ground beef that were on sale for $ 4.45. Bought a few canned items for storage. The items that are still not on the shelves are mostly Great Value stuff. I like their liquid eggs but they haven't had them in a while and I will not buy egg beater as they are almost $8.00. I lucked out last week at Safeway, when once again a dz. eggs were only $1.97 so picked up 2dz. Also found good deals on stew meat and picked up a couple pkgs. today I made beef stew. So I have plenty of stew and chicken soup in the freezer. Because you KNOW ITS GOING TO GET COLD SOON RIGHT!! 

It just feels good to get some cooking done know that it has cooled down a bit.

I have been filling  1gl. jugs for drinking water and what a difference in taste. I had been using a Pur filtering system and it was still leaving that nasty white crust on the coffee machine and even the filter itself. So I threw it all away and bought a couple jugs of water and so now I have 6 gl. jugs the water costs .29 at the Neighborhood Grocery Store. I may pick up another 2gl. I really drink a lot of water. I bought a 3gl. container that fits perfectly on the fridge shelf so I fill that up and slide it onto the shelf. and just fill up the drinking bottles with the spout.

Supposed to get a storm tomorrow but they said that last week so who knows. 

Good Night All

11 comments:

  1. These hurricanes are scary hope we don't get the winds...not a good thing hope your friends are not hit hard...I have begun using my Britta pitcher it works very well and is easy to do and i get 144 uses of one filter so not a bad investment. Good youre all stocked up...My last Walmart buy they were 14 items short so we had to go to Food Lion to make up the difference. Think I will just do Food Lion next time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sondra,
      I'm worried about my friends as 2 live in mobile homes and those winds will not be a good thing, the others live close to the water so I pray for their safety. You may have much better water in your area, the water here is awful and those filter just didn't work anymore. Hope you have better luck at Food Lion for your groceries. Hope the storm is kind to you. Blessings

      Delete
  2. I've been watching Ian too. My daughter (in southeast FL) is getting some rain bands and flooding but that should hopefully be the worst of it for them. The poor west side of Florida will be bad, though 😢 I started buying 1 gallon water refills too. It tastes much better and is significantly cheaper than pre-bottled water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie,
      Hope your daughter stays safe in that area. My friends are in Port St. Lucy and her daughter in for Fort Pierce, sure hope they will be safe! Once I had enough containers I started refilling them, the price is good at Walmart. I would like to get 2 more containers so I don't have to refill as often.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you got a good deal on your chicken and meat buys. The price of eggs is not too shabby either, one of these days I am going to try liquid eggs.

    Many vandwellers in their videos say they purchase their water at those water purification system kiosks but I don't think they are as economically priced as yours. I also drink a lot of water.

    I had to smile when I read " Because you know it is going to get cold soon right!! "...I can only hope it is soon!

    I too am worried about the people in the path of Ian and hope they have evacuated to higher ground. This is going to be a monster storm...my thoughts and well wishes are with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the eggs would be that price again, and just got lucky to catch the sale. I can make liquid eggs go further because I use them for veggie omelets and then I can get 2 breakfasts out of it.
      I have friends there and I am so worried as they had nowhere to go to get out of this horrible beast.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo! I'm like you, picking up the good deals. And like you, I won't pay someone extra money to take the skin off the chicken. That adds a lot to the price. I'm glad you got some good deals! I've got LOTS of eggs left after that 99 cent deal at work. Thankfully they last a long time! And like you, I tossed the Pur filter and like the store-bought water. Take care! -- VT Brad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brad,
    With the high increase in food must rethink how I spend my money. I was so disappointed in the Pur filtering and I bought it because they said the filters would filter more impurities, well it sure didn't and the cost was also getting sky high

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am waiting very impatiently for that colder weather. We're no longer at the 105 to 110 range but I would love to see some 80s. Our groceries are still really expensive. Not very good sales anywhere. We have used gallon refills of water for years. There is a water kiosk just down the street from me for 30 cents a gallon. Our water is so hard even with a water softener.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandie,
    Me too, but the nights and very early mornings are going to be wonderful. Crazy font sizes haha.
    I guess I am just hitting the meats at the right times to catch the deals, but most stuff had gone as high as dollar. The water here is horrible. When I looked down at the Pur filter and saw something that looked awful and I just emptied out the water and threw the whole thing in the garbage and ran to the store to buy water and then started to refill the jugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been getting my 3-gal water bottles filled at local kiosks (Wm is one) for years and my foods (especially coffee) tastes so much better. I started with 5-gal bottles but as got older they became too heavy. I have my bottles on a ceramic water dispenser placed on a wooden floor stand. Easier for me to get the bottles placed on that than a counter stand that is too high. So glad our day time temps are lower now and only see 90's once in a while. Been busy preparing my yard for winter, still have my screen room up on the patio and enjoying the cooler afternoons and evenings in it. We had a good monsoon season this year. Daughter is moving to Silver City NM this month so that's my big activity for the month in helping her. She'll be 90 minutes closer to me - and give me an excuse to do some truck camping in her area. Take care.

    ReplyDelete