Friday, May 31, 2019

A Little Back Ground

I am really enjoying my bike. I'm happy with my progress.

Many years ago I was a speed walker, hiker and climber. I would walk 4-6 miles just about every day. Hiking and climbing was on weekends or any day off I had. I loved being outdoors and the heat never bothered me back then.

It all came to a screeching halt when I had a bad fall that had nothing to do with my routine. It was at a dirty grocery store. When I slipped and landed I hit my knee so hard it shattered my knee cap. The orthopaedic Dr. thought I was to young for a total knee replacement so he built it back up the best he could. I was never able to get back the total ability to climbing and hiking wasn't all that great either. Walking was slower paced but I did get back into that.

So I will continue to work at this bike and then see if maybe I can join a gym. I have since had total knee replacement of both knees. I know what I need to do and am working on all of it. But I will take it at my own pace as I am so much older now and must pay attention to what my body is telling me. 

This picture was taken a few months before the accident. It doesn't show how high up I was. There is another picture somewhere that shows just that. I don't expect to look like this every again or be this fit since this was about 15 - 20 yrs ago.

Sorry about the crummy picture but no digital camera back then must have been a throw away haha . Taken at Saguaro National Park West, Tucson
Those sure were the days.

Good Night All

10 comments:

  1. Good luck with the exercise, routine any you get is better than none, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been a hiker or even a Walker but after breaking my ankle and rupturing my Achilles tendon I really have trouble with stairs or curbs or anything that requires more than just walking. So you go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi George,
    Thank you for you incouraging words.

    Hi Sandie,

    That had to be very painful. Thank you for your good thoughts for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am relatively new to your blog so I did not know you were a speed walker, hiker, and climber. Walking 4 to 6 miles daily is no small feat. I would be happy to be able to walk just half a mile daily.

    You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi MsBelinda,
    That was a very long time ago. I would love to be able to walk a mile these day also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very happy for you and you will make great progress. I've never been a speed walker I used to walk daily and track my mileage each day...I would average about 300-350 miles per year but Im like you and I gave up daily walking. I still enjoy hiking, not long distances anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sondra,

    I know once you fall off the routine it's so hard to get back to it. Thanks for believing I can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire your gumption. Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete