Thursday, October 28, 2021

Camping Fail

Camping did not work out. Got there, got my favorite spot in the whole campground. Paid for 3 nights. Put Fred on his lead in a place that he would be safe so I could unload. No sooner I turn my back and he gets himself in a cholla clump. Couldn't find the pick so grabbed a plyers and started pulling them out it wasn't easy or fun for either of us. Shortened his lead and got to work. 

Everything was unloaded and I had bought him a soft sided kennel a new bed and used a noodle mat for under the bed so he would be nice and comfy.

So far looking OK but climbing in n out of the back is tough. Got things organized in the camper as best as I could. 

Bees, everywhere pesty ones at that. So I started to spray vinegar and they seemed to not like that and went away but that didn't last to long and they came back. Wind was blowing pretty good so I was surprised they were around.

Heated up my dinner ate that in a bit of piece, while I sprayed vinegar.

Took Fred for a walk and of course his noisy sniffing got him a small cholla right in the nose. By then I had found the pick and removed it fast.

It was already getting pretty chilly as the sun was setting so I put Fred in the camper and made sure I cleared up the site. I really started feeling lots of pain everywhere so took some Tylenol and laid down to read. Then took my night time meds and Tylenol pm. I was getting quite frustrated with not being able to put enough things away do to lack of storage. 

Finally fell  asleep but only slept for a few hours. More reading finally fell asleep again but was up really early. I tried to convince myself I could make this work. But nope so packed up after a quick coffee and came home. 

I'm not going to give up on this. I guess I will have to go back to dragging the ladder with me as it is so much easier than the hitch step and a stool under that to get me up high enough, and getting out was really tough too. I'm going to measure up the back corner to see if I can get a small maybe 3 drawer Rubbermaid deal for more storage.

So I pretty much rested up all day yesterday after removing the food and taking more Tylenol. Today I pulled everything out so I can get it clean again. I believe the mattress is still to big as it slides off the bed, and also realized the sheets are for a full size bed so that adds to the problem as they do not fit right and lump up. I can cut the mattress more and get some twin sheets. But I'm in no rush I will really give this lots of thought.

It also was very cold I can handle it but not Fred. I did have to call my HVAC guy to come set the furnace up and put in a new thermostat. It was in the mid 40's last night and not much warmer inside the house.

Anyway that's it for now I do have a few sunset pictures. OH and they loaded just fine off the camera which hasn't happened in a very long time. That was a wonderful thing! But why they are out of sequence here I have no idea.








Don't know why this is on here twice and in different size




Good Night All

14 comments:

  1. HI Jo, sorry things didn't go well you sure had a beautiful site and your photos are great! I had a little soft side thing such as that one for Casey, and he ripped it up on his first use, glad Fred liked his. I hope you can sort out the issues. Its not as easy to do these things as we get older I been working in my van, and if I step out too hard it jolts my spine! Hope you have a good weekend anyways!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry your trip didn't turn out. Bees would be enuf to run me out. And poor Fred. Those cholla things are horrible. But now you know what doesn't work so hopefully you can find some things to make it easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sondra,

    Fred likes things he can crawl into but I was hoping it was small but that was the med. sized Oh well he liked it. Yes as we age things just don't work well for us anymore but I will keep trying! Be careful jumping down out of the van. I love that site so much it has nice trees for shade and privacy. Camera did OK and I so wanted to get more pictures the next day but next time! And I sure hope your trip goes well for you.

    Hi Sandie,
    I have a brand new screen room but It was heavier than I thought it would be so guess that is going on Tucson Market place. Yep the ladder will return as the way to get in an out. Cholla IS a horrible thing, I felt so bad for him but he never learns :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear it didn't go so well for you and poor Fred 😢 You still got some good pictures! I hope next time goes more smoothly 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Connie,

    Thanks! I really need a van LOL but I'll try again not to soon though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez, we need to get together to compare notes. My topper is level with the roof of my cab so I have to crawl around on my knees. I did invest in a DAK tent that goes on the end of my truck and I like it; but I learned on that trip earlier that once am out I stay out for the day. I also have a screen room but it's only going up when I stay 3 or more nights, it's too hard for me - even my neighbor men and my kids said it wasn't easy so I felt better. Right now it has been sitting on my patio as the screen room and I enjoy that and laugh at the mosquitos bouncing around against the screen on the outside. I'd like to have a van too instead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Emily,

    Is your truck a full size or a mid sized like mine. It sure doesn't give much room. But my topper is higher but I ordered it to be tall enough to stand in and they didn't do that. Even a van I couldn't stand in would still give so much more room to get around and be able to keep more things inside and not have to drag everything out. OH well it is what it is and I am going to make it work yet. Keeping your screen room on your patio is a great idea, and at least it is getting used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep being positive about making it work. I was bound and determined to make it work for me and it eventually did. My truck is a full size (for me anyway, think its 6+ ft). I can sleep stretched out with inches to spare, just not high enough to stand. I can crawl from the back to the front if need be as the truck's window rolls down and the toppers window folds down. A bit of a stretch for this old body but it can be done. Just keep working on it, I like you attitude.

      Delete
    2. Hi Emily,
      Oh I won't give up believe me, this is not going to beat me. Full sized trucks have so much more room, but it is what it is with this med. size truck. thanks for the encouraging words.

      Delete
  8. I am so sorry to hear your trip did not go as planned. You sounded so excited and looking forward to getting out and about in nature.

    The campground looks beautiful and serene. I had hoped to hear your review on the Clam but now read you are planning to sell it.

    I have wanted to fix my camping van for a long time but I do not know if it is worth spending so much money for a new transmission and there are very few used quality vans out there.

    Your temperatures sound chilly glad you got your HVAC guy out there so you and Fred can be toasty warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi MsBelinda,
    well I won't be beat on this. The clam is way to heavy and I didn't expect that it's a shame cause with all the bees it would have been nice.

    I wish I could find a van but like you said they are just not out there or they want more for a very used one than it cost brand new. I know transmissions are expensive but it might just be worth it if you don't let the van sit to long unused.

    Temps are up and down here right now but it was nice to be able to run the heat just a bit in the early morning to take the chill out. Not crazy about a hot house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your blog,I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in
    traffic density,which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    បាការ៉ាត់អនឡាញ_Baccarat Online

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jo! I was unfamiliar with a cholla so I Googled it. Yikes! That looks incredibly painful. Poor Fred!

    I understand about the bed issue! I have a mattress that keeps sliding of the bed.. Ugg.

    And the bees! I am allergic and they scare me. Those little sweat bees were driving me nuts the other day.

    I hear ya about the need for electricity and the heater. It makes camping so much more comfortable!

    Sometimes camping trips don't go as planned. Been there and done that. But the next one might be that much more fun. Hope things go smoother the next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great article data and I got extremely many topic information from your website. I appreciate your work and requesting you to please keep posting other niche articles and like you,
    Thank you very much for giving everyone to express our feeling and though
    english stories

    ReplyDelete