Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Micro Burst

I finally finished sewing up all the edges for the slip cover today. 
While sitting there sewing I heard this racket but thought it was coming from a house around the corner as they are getting a new roof. But this sound was  much different sounded like a train as it came closer and then things caught my eye. Awning parts were flying right towards my house. So I jumped up and left the room fearing that they might just come through the window. Lots of crashing sounds but they seemed to fly right by the house. I then was worried that they may have done some damage to the truck in the carport. I looked out the computer room window and all was well. I then went to the porch and wow there was awning material everywhere and folks coming out to see what had happened.  The lady next door came out and she had a large piece that had hit her house but no damage was done. Mark who does lots of handy work around here went down the street to see if everyone was OK and to see who lost the awning. I saw him talking to Al and then they headed up the street while picking up pieces of materials from the street and other front yards. I asked who lost the awning and they mentioned someone who I don't know but Al lost half of his roofing. Mark then got his truck and started riding around picking up more mess from the other street as this stuff went flying over roofs and into the next street. These Micro Bursts just come out of nowhere and can really do some damage. Some people who come here in the winter now of the Dust Devils but these are not the same, there is no dust or sand it's just powerful wind that will move Mobile homes, snap telephone poles like tooth picks. I tried to see if I had roof damage but couldn't see up that high but Mark said he could see no damage as he came up the street in his truck. Saw lots of tar paper laying around but don't know if that was from Al's place or the house that was getting the new roof. I will take a ride around tomorrow when I go out to run errands.

Other than that I have been cooking lots on new veggie dishes and they all have been wonderful.

Good Night All

6 comments:

  1. Thank goodness you and your house did not suffer any damage. Actually that no one got injured. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This micro bursts sure can be scary, glad that you and your house were not damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow,,,glad you had no damage...wind is one thing I am scared of! Not the only thing but it's high on my list! After Hurricane Hugo almost destroyed us back in 1989 I have been terrified of high winds. Glad you got your project finished...I am heading out today to parts unknown and then eventually back home to SC...it's getting hot so may as well go home and put on the AC and wait it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MsBelinda,

    Thank you and yes this could have been even worse with those guys up on the roof. They may have already left for the day with the high heat.

    Hi George,

    Thank you it was a little scary for a the few minutes that it lasted.

    Hi Sondra,

    Thank You me too. Yes it takes one really bad wind storm of any kink to make you rethink the power of wind. Have a wonderful and safe trip. Will your mom be traveling back with you I know it is time for her to be heading back. Hope she fairs well on the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a million to burst hit our park a couple years ago. Really mangled a few awnings and tore skirting off several park models. Not fun. Glad you okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandie,

    Thank You and yes they can be very bad.

    ReplyDelete