Monday, July 23, 2018

Excessive Heat Warning

So much for the cooler temperatures and rain. Sunday it hit 102 and of course that made our Sunday outing shorter. 

We had a nice breakfast, then dropped off some jewelry that needed fixing. We had an hour to kill so we went to Kirkland's and walked around, but we did good and didn't buy anything. Then went to JC Penny's to buy a few outfits for Tracy's grandson as they go back to school in 2 weeks. I also bought him 2 shirts as it will also be his birthday in a few weeks. We then returned to pick up the jewelry but I waited in the truck with the a/c on and even put up the sun screen to block the blazing sun. Believe me it helped. 

I then realized I forgot to stop for gas on our way out this morning, so we stopped to fill up. Tracy did the pumping and couldn't believe how much gas the truck takes. We are at 2.59 a gal and I let it get to low so it cost $37. But then we called it a day and came home.

This morning I had to go grocery shopping and headed out at 8 am and it was already 87 degrees. By time I got home it was awful and it was 9:30.  I put away the cold stuff and grabbed a bottle of nice cold water and sat for a bit to cool down. Made myself some breakfast and did a load of laundry. Did some reading in between  putting other things away and cleaning out more stuff from under the sink area. Maybe I can get more of that done early so I can put was needs throwing out before the trash gets picked up. And pack some up for donations.

What started the clean out ? Friday I thought I was really doing good getting my day started before the heat hit. I had a meat loaf done by 8:30 am a load of laundry in and Fred fed and I made my breakfast. On my way to have breakfast and read FB  I turned on the dish washer. As I sat eating and reading something didn't sound quite right coming from the kitchen. I thought maybe I had turned on the water and forgot to shut if off. As I got close I could see that the water was not running but the sound was getting louder. Yep it was the dishwasher leaking. I quickly shut it down but water was still coming out. I ran a got some thick towels and threw them on the floor. Then made the mistake of opening the door. Yes it was quite full of water. Got another thick towel threw it down and called Mark. He was busy on a job, I told him when he got the chance to stop over. He came a while later and had a huge sponge and bucket and finished draining out the water. He figured and so did I that the pump went out. This dishwasher is only about 2-3 years old. Yes another Lowe's appliance. Mark has a full schedule so when he has an opening he will pull out the dishwasher to test the pump if that is the problem he will fix it. but if it is a sensor I'm not fixing it as Mark said it will cost almost as much as a new dishwasher. I don't think I will replace it at this time. I don't dirty that many dishes so I will just start hand washing them. And start using paper plates when I can.

We hit 109 today and should be the same tomorrow then maybe a little bit of a drop.

Good Night All

14 comments:

  1. Goos luck with your dish washer we only had one for a few years before we sold out house,and even in my restaurant all the dishes were done by hand.
    Good luck with cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George,

      Thanks, I really don't dirty that many dishes I only use to run it once ever week or so. Have lots of dishes so I could really wait and fill it up. We shall if it gets fixed or not.

      Delete
  2. I can sympathize on the weather same here the humidity has been through the roof, this morning 74F with 94% Humidity at 9 am...the humidity will burn off as the tempts rise...so it just stays hot all day! There seems to be no place to escape it this yr. My dishwasher had a leak where the pump connector was it took me several tries to fix it! It is very old! 1994 a Kenmore. When I don't have many dishes I wash them and put them on the racks and close the door and they drip dry! Then I put 'em away when I want to, like an over-sized dish drainer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sondra,

      The humidity is down but the temps are way up. In my kitchen widow I have a old stained window that is very heavy so I thought at least I can get some natural light from it and not worry about the heat coming through nope had to close the shade over yesterday. Don't know if the dishwasher can be fixed yet but that's OK. I know lots of people who use them for storing pots and pans haha

      Delete
  3. Oh, Jo, you poor thing. I don't know how you stand those temps. Fall is coming...not soon enough, though.

    My dishwasher leaked one year and I had to replace my whole kitchen floor. I had been camping so the house was quiet for three weeks or so. I called someone to fix it and he surprised the daylights out of me when he said, "Ma'm you have rats and they chewed the hose, probably looking for water." I couldn't believe it! It cost me $2000 to seal the roofline and basement of the house, and I pay $100 a year insurance in case they come back--they'll seal it, again. They assured me that it had nothing to do with whether a house is clean or dirty. My HVAC man told me the same thing and that there isn't a house in my county that doesn't have them--people just don't know it.

    At any rate, that was a very expensive little critter. It's funny because Jack and Lizzie never heard them in the walls or anything.

    I hope you've been feeling better. I'm up early these days because I go back and forth taking care of Bogey and Jack. I don't know where you get your energy from--wish you could send some my way.

    Was glad to hear you mention Fred. Give him a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy,

    My thoughts on the floor was a big concern for me too. I keep checking for soft spots. Who knows when Mark pulls it out if water pooled under the dishwasher. Of course with this heat it probably dried right away but that could be wishful thinking.

    You say you are watching Bogey and Jack. I know about Bogey but not a Jack. Are you taking care of them somewhere other than your place?

    I am feeling better still a little sore but no biggie after what I went through. Don't know what makes you think I have lots of energy every thing I do I must force myself to do. It has to get done so I have to do it. I had to pull all that stuff out from under the sink so Mark can get to the plumbing and I have gotten rid of so much stuff. Don't know why all that STUFF was even in there LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, did I say Jack (he's always on my mind)? I meant Bogey. He's my son's dog but lives with me, now, because Michael travels so much. He's been with me for over a year. Susan got a puppy (Jonah). I tried keeping them both at my house since her hours at the hospital are so weird, but it just didn't work. I was up and down constantly so after having torn my house apart to make a "dog" room, I decided to divide my time between the two. Susan lives a mile from me so I go back and forth every couple of hours to keep them company.

    I imagine your floor is safer with the dry climate, but you might want to run some fans or rent a dehumidifier and run it for a couple of days. After they ripped up the floor they ran huge dehumidifiers and fans, but that's in humid Atlanta. I hope it dries up for you. I had had the Pergo down and you can't do anything once a flood happens on that. I replaced it with real wood.

    I had five floods the first year after Rich died. There's nothing worse than water where it's not supposed to be. I don't know how people who live near rivers that flood move back.

    The difference between you and me is that I don't force myself (I'm lazy) and I'm tired of hurting and have decided I'm not going to hurt any more. You sound like you have energy when you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy,

      Well that clears it up hahaa about the dogs.

      It seems to be all dry since it's so hot and I don't smell anything.

      I understand your not forcing yourself you sure have been through alot with your back problems.

      Delete
  6. We prefer to Hand-Wash our dishes. It uses less Water and Electricity plus we make use of the space with storage. Good Luck getting it fixed.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rick and Kathy,

      I had an old one of those tupperwear cake things out in the shed so I brought it in and cleaned it up. I use that to wash the dishes in. Don't know what happened to the lid but it has come in handy for dishes when camping for years. I don't know if I will bother getting it fixed.

      Delete
  7. Your temperatures sound as bad as ours. I think this year has been the worst in a very long time.

    I hate dishwashers they use up so much water and electricity, I think I have used mine (in Houston) less than 10 times in 30 years.

    Mom does not have one and sometimes I am so tired I just hide the dishes in an old coolers until I can get to them...I know pitiful :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi MsBelinda,

    This is some nasty weather for sure. But we get up there each summer.

    I keep the dishes washed as I don't use that many. Stocked up on paper plates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have an old dishwasher that groans when it runs, but it still works. When it quits I may just get out the dishpan and drainer, but I like the dishwasher for getting things out of sight until I'm ready to wash everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gypsy,

    Seems nothing is made to last these days. But that is just what I did drag out my old dish pan and started washing the dishes. With heat being so high these days my A/C is eating up electric, usually the bills aren't so high but with this heat well. I will wait until Fall to fix the dishwasher

    ReplyDelete