Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Hurricane Rose

I have lived here for 42 years in the Sonora Desert and never have had a hurricane here before. The weather people who rarely get things straight kept saying it was coming of course not the full blown part but all the rain and some high winds. But they kept changing the dates so you just figure it isn't going to happen. Final day to arrive was supposed to be today. Well late afternoon Sunday the winds came up out of nowhere and the rain started coming down. It rained all through the night and all day yesterday until late evening. So no shopping was done yesterday cause we all know sugar melts.

So today I got up and the sun was shining but they said more rain was coming. So I got out to go shopping and the truck wouldn't start. I knew it had to be coming as I have had the truck for a little more than 4 yrs and this is the same battery. I called Mark (my life saver) and he came with a battery charger and got the truck going. I drove right to O' Reilly's Auto parts store. Kid brought out the tester to see if maybe it needed a good charge. But I knew better as I turned off the truck when I got there and it wouldn't start. So the kid put in a new battery and off I went shopping while I watched the clouds building again. But I made it home.

I put away the frozen and cold food and made me a lunch since I didn't even have breakfast and drank lots of nice cold water before putting the rest of the groceries away. 

The sun came out and it looked like the storm had passed us finally. But  the clouds came back but it didn't rain, until I sat here to write this it is now raining again. While I don't have flooding problems here other parts of town are in trouble and Phx, is really getting it bad and flooding is really bad. As I was watching TV before a Warning to evacuate further west of here near the border of Mexico sounded pretty bad. I know how bad it floods out that way and they have been working on it for years since of course they built many developments out there. I hope all will be OK and no real damage comes to those who live out that way.

Tomorrow I have and eye apt. which was really needed and since I broke the only cheaters that worked for the computer it's time. I'm going to bring these glasses with me and hope they can put on a new arm piece while I am waiting for the glasses to come in. Trying to wear these broken ones is tough.

Good Night All

10 comments:

  1. That sure sounds like a lot of rain from the hurricane., hope they don't get the flooding as predicted.
    Good luck with your glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was keeping up with the rain on the weather channel. Apache Junction didn't get hit too bad which is good. At least our AZ home isn't washing away down the road anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi George,

    Yes it was a lot of rain from a left over hurricane.


    Hi Sandie,

    I was going to ask my friends who live in Apache Junction but the went back up north. But there was so much flooding in Phx. and northside far west of Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered whether you'd really get any kind of weather from the hurricane. I know how dangerous heavy rain can be in the desert. Back in the late 90s, Rich and I were just about to pull into Las Vegas when a wall of water came down and caught the RV ahead of us in an underpass. We heard that the people died, and I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm not sure. Fortunately, Rich was able to veer off and we avoided it. We never did go into the city--it seemed like the water was funneled right down the main thoroughfare. Unbelievable sight.

    Stay safe, Jo. I'm glad you're high enough. I've never heard of a hurricane in the west.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are Safe from all the Rain. We saw what it could do in Dec. 16 when we first went west for the winter.
    Good Luck with the Cheaters.
    Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even hear about a hurricane in your area...so much going on here I'm distracted most of the time...glad you not in an area of flooding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nancy,
    Yes it is very dangerous and underpasses are a real death trap and is washes. Just a huge wall of water in an other wise dry bed.

    Hi Rick and Kathy,
    It's amazing how fast a flood can hit in a place that looks so dry.
    As for the cheaters well the apt didn't happy as Walmart was under a flood of it's own in the store from Restrooms and the Salon. They had no idea why or what was happening and the poor guy just kept trying to vacuum up the water but he couldn't even keep up with it. They said they couldn't fix my cheaters unless we could find a frame to fit. It took me a minute to find and she said the lens was just a little to small, but the lens was staying in so I said that's will work for me. I've worn them for quite sometime today and the lens hasn't fallen out yet. I figure I can always use some crazy glue to keep them in if it becomes a problem. I have an apt, for next Tue.

    Hi Sondra,
    It was a first for me in AZ. Hope all is well on your home front.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw how much rain fell in Mexico from hurricane Rosa and then heard it was headed your way.

    The weather channel showed all the flooding and I could not help but think about you. Glad you fared well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you don't experience flooding. Having been in Phoenix to pick up Rocky back in August, I just can't imagine it raining there. That was the hottest place I've been in for a long time - and Sacramento is pretty hot itself. I hope the rain cools things down a bit for you. I'm basking in the cool, partly cloudy day we've had and the rain during the night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi MsBelinda,

    We sure did get some rain and yes north of me and Phx. had lots of flooding also far west near the Mexican border was really bad. There is another one now out at sea heading for Mexico and then toward us again. Thank you for thinking of me.

    Hi Gypsy,

    I live at a higher elevation so it runs off pretty good. Phx got hit hard. And yes it has cooled down alot so happy for that I can tell you. I know you had some nice rains and I was hoping my cousin would get some in Sun City but not a drop.

    ReplyDelete