Monday, April 22, 2019

I Broke My Own Rule

Easter brunch and my grandson's house was great and I felt so comfy there since lots of things came from my house in their decorating. His girlfriend did it I'm sure, even if Eric tried to take all the credit. LOL It was a nice visit and I really enjoyed seeing them all again.

I was going to stop at my other daughters house on my way home but by time I put gas in the truck I was so tired from the wind and heat I just headed for home.

This morning I took some things that had been piled in the kitchen out to the carport to box up for donation. Then dusted in the dining area, boy the dust from this never ending wind. I did a little cooking to use up the veggies I had. As I sat to eat some lunch I noticed lots of birds on the ground at the house next door and also noticed some dish pans of mine had blown over near the neighbors carport. This is when I badly broke my own rule. I always try to watch the ground especially this time of year. As I bent down to pick up the pans I came face to face with a rattler. I damn near crapped all over myself. It never moved and didn't shake his tail. I slowly stood up and backed away. It started to move and I picked up a small rock and it landed just the right side to have the snake move the other way. Then it looked as though it was going to hide in some junk on the neighbors carport so I threw another rock to get it back on the gravel and move away. It blended in so well with the gravel. Even know my heart races as I think how close I was to that damn thing. This evening I had to take the trash to the curb and I kicked the garbage can from the safety of my porch to make sure it or another one wasn't under my trash can. The lady next door feeds the birds which is a no no from spring to fall. The feed brings pack rats and the snakes. It is the first thing the Fire Dept. and the snake removal people tell you. But she is the type who wouldn't listen anyway.

Good Night All

8 comments:

  1. Nice to have Easter brunch with you family. Sure sounds like a close call with that snake, glad you survived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read your blog I gasped when I read of the rattler. Girl..... how scary was that! My heart is still pounding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess you will be reminding yourself about your rule from now on. Glad you were not harmed.
    Nice that you celebrated Easter with family.
    Be Safe away from Rattlers and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi George,
    We did have a good time on Easter.

    Hi Phyllis,

    I still shiver when I think about it.

    hi Rick and Kathy,

    Yes I will be more mindful of what is laying around in the gravel.
    Easter brunch was fun my grandkids are all grown up now. Some have made me a great grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you got to spend time with your grandson and his family.

    I almost freaked when I read about your close call with the rattler! If that had been me I would have ran screaming in the opposite direction and NEVER gone back outside.

    Sometimes the cats that "adopted me" overwhelm me but they are good mousers and Momma cat once killed a snake which earned her a place in our family.

    Have you commented to your neighbor your experience? Maybe if she hears how close to her house the rattler came it might make a difference in her bird feeding, you never know. Please be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My glad you knew to walk away and not bother with it...WE Have to be extremely careful this time of year too. It's too bad the bird seed is bringing in the rats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi MsBelinda,

    Yes it was a nice time. They love clear on the northeast side of town I don't like it there way to much traffic, but since it was morning and Easter I figured the traffic would be light, going home there was a little heavier but still not bad.

    There is no point in talking to her she is hard of hearing and rarely wears her hearing aids and like I said she wouldn't stop unless maybe she ran into the snake herself.

    Hi Sondra,

    Yes when I did the neighbor hood watch here many years ago I had both the Fire Dept. and the Snake Removal people here and they both said do not run as it just attracts them as their senses are by feel through the ground. And sudden movement also attracts them. They also talked about feeding the birds as that also attracts them and the rats that come also for the seed on the ground. I had to go out and spray the weeds today as the wind finally quit this morning I was so alert. I didn't go around the back I just did the sides and front that can be seen from the street LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the most part, you can identify a poisonous snake by his broad head, a narrower neck area and a somewhat heavier body. That's the general description of a "viper."

    ReplyDelete