Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Lunch With Friends and Fire

My friends and I had been trying to get together for lunch and had to reschedule a few times due to the heavy rains or excessive heat. So today it finally worked out. We went to our favorite place and had a wonderful time. We never stopped talking, but what else is new. The food was good and I did well to not eat things that I shouldn't have. But they have the best green beans, mushrooms, salmon and other veggies that I love. 

This morning when I let Fred out I looked to the South and the mountains looked like they were covered in a mist. I thought it looked great so I grabbed my camera and took a few shots. After getting my coffee and turning on the computer Mr. Fred thought he should go out again, the mountains seemed to be covered over even more. After a while of reading things on the computer I turned to look out the window and it looked like fog. Hmmm wait a minute the sun had been shining brightly so how can there now be fog. I went out and then I could smell that it was smoke and you could smell something burning. I went all around the house outside and checked up and down the street. The smell was stronger and the thick smoke was worse. Yet I heard no sirens. I brought up the local news channel and there it was, fire on the Tohon O'odam Reservation. They have a co op place there and they store huge bales of hay, 20,000 to be exact and it was all on fire. The fire had started yesterday around 6 pm. I heard lots of sirens last night but didn't think much about it. They say the fire will burn for days. Besides the bales of hay they lost a few buildings also. But luckily San Xavier Mission isn't in any danger.

The Mission and fire is to the left of the mountain range


A slight breeze came up and cleared the smoke away quickly. As I was heading out to meet with the Ladies you could see the heavy smoke rising from the fire. All the can do is keep pouring water on the fire.

So that was my day and the weather has been delightful. We have been in the mid to high 80's and night time temps in the low 60's. 

Good Night All

10 comments:

  1. Fire like that can be scary , but at least they have it under control. And glad the the Mission was not affected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to get out and meet up with friends...hope that fire is out soon, that's a lot of hay to store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi George,

    We always say we need to do lunch more often but it still is months sometime. The fire is still going and the smell and smoke are terrible. But yes we are thankful the Mission has been spared.

    Hi Sondra,

    We enjoy our get togethers. Glad you like my header. It is so hard to get pictures of Phainopepla as they flit around constantly. She sure was possing for me that morning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is scary. Dry hay can go up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Phyllis,

    Yes it is that was a lot of hay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you were able to meet up with your friends. I sure do miss that.

    The fire is unfortunate but at least the mission was not affected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi MsBelinda,

    The fire cost 3/4 million dollars for the hay and other stored produce I don't know if that included all the lost buildings and big farm equipement. But all are giving thanks to the fact the Mission was spared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The header picture is so lovely! It's a shame about the fire. Have they said anything about its cause?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gypsy,

    Not another thing has been said about this fire. It's like it never happened as far as the new's media goes. I tried to do a follow up and there was nothing more than the day after it happened.

    ReplyDelete